Thursday, March 24, 2011

Looking Ahead: Broadway in Chicago's next season

As I continue through the past few weeks of Broadway in Chicago's current season on this blog, you'll begin to realize we didn't like as many shows as we've liked.  Or actually, that's basing it on loving Next to Normal in April - because they can't screw that up, right?  Eek!  


Considering the lack of thrill we've gotten from the offerings we're in the consideration process for next season, which should be announced here pretty soon.  We've had gut reactions and then some that we've come around to eventually.  In the end I think it's going to be the combination of the season package that will decide it for us.  


So here's what they're offering after this season, so far:


Beauty and the Beast


Now this has been announced forever, so I'm thinking it's just for the holiday tourist season and probably won't be part of our season tickets package.  I saw this back in.....wow....1996 I think, in London.  It was a birthday present from my grandmother.  I got all dressed up for the theater in London, took what at that time was one of my very few cab rides, and felt magical about to see my favorite Disney movie on stage in real life.  


Now this is one of my favorite shows to memory.  The song 'Home' is original to the show and one of the best songs.  The costumes were breathtaking and the songs sounded fantastic.  How many times have I seen this movie, and then this show makes me cry at the end!?  Crazy talk.  So in the end, this is one we might/might not pick up.  I would watch it again, but I'm not sure Val cares too much for it.  So check as "maybe" for now.


West Side Story
YES.  This is one that ever since we moved to Chicago that we've been saying "if that comes here, we're going to it", and then here it is.  I'm pleasantly surprised by the controversy of some of the lines being in Spanish.  Scandalousness!  Whatever.  People get over it, they were Puerto Ricans!  But whatever helps them sell tickets....anyways, this is a definite yes for our ticket holdings.








Love, Loss & What I Wore
First thought about title?  Straight chicks.  Then saw logo?  Straight chicks.  And then read the descriptions about women and their relationships etc....sounds a bit better, but I don't think I'm the audience they're trying to reach.  As a lesbian, who was always a tomboy anyways throughout life, I didn't have too much love and loss, and I care less about fashion!  For me it's tank tops and flip flops all the way!  So the verdict?  Pass.




Ann: An Affectionate Portrait of Ann Richards


As someone who grew up in Texas, I know who Ann Richards is.  Unlike the lady in the bathroom during Les Miserables when we were talking about next season ("WHO?!"  was the response I got upon telling her the show).  Now, don't get me wrong, Ann Richards was a great woman and a great asset to Texas at the time.  An entire show dedicated to her.  I'm on the fence about that one.






Memphis
2010 Tony Winner for best show.  The plot and such doesn't interest me much, but it's supposedly good?  Though in my opinion it was slim pickings for this years Tony's.  The song they play everywhere (I'm not sure the name) has that "Na na na na na na-na na" line in it that goes FOREVER.  If it's part of the package, sure why not?  If not, I don't know if I'll make an effort to see it.










Come Fly Away


*snore*














Have you seen any of these shows?  Love em or hate em?  Feedback before we throw down money is appreciated! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment